118 – The Hon Bruce Billson: How ASBFEO helps small businesses
June 27, 2023
We are joined by our special guest, The Honourable Bruce Billson, the Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman (ASBFEO).
Bruce explains the role of ASBFEO and the different programs and services available to assist small businesses.
- Helping small businesses with dispute resolution
- A policy and advocacy space to help small businesses deal with governments and regulators
- Sharing the stories of small businesses and highlighting their importance to the wider community
Bruce and Paul discuss World Micro, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises Day (MSME Day) and why it is an important opportunity to thank our small and family businesses.
The theme for 2023 is ‘small business matters’.
Small and family-run businesses matter by being the lifeblood of our communities and essential to our economy. We depend on them.
- 97.5% of Australian Businesses are small businesses (Australian Bureau of Statistics)
- Over 5 Million people were employed by small businesses in 2020-21 (ASBFEO)
- Small business contributed 33% of Australia’s total GDP in 2020-21 (ASBFEO)
Head to the ASBFEO website and don’t forget to ask “One thing ASBFEO can do for me”
Bruce Billson commenced his role as Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman (ASBFEO) in March 2021. Bruce brings experience and knowledge to the role of Ombudsman, and an understanding of the issues facing small business, having started his own advisory business in 2016. Bruce’s political career spans 30 years, including his role as Cabinet Minister for Small Business from 2013-2015. Bruce has shown his dedication to small business through being a founding Director of Judo Bank and various board appointments, including the Franchise Council of Australia, Deakin University Business School and Australian Property Institute.
The mission of the Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman is to help ensure Australia is the best place to start, grow and transform a small business and family enterprise.
The Ombudsman is an independent advocate for small and family businesses. ASBFEO understands the challenges facing small and family business and provides advice and research to improve policies, access to dispute resolution services and mental health support should the need arise.